Target volunteers based on custom information
With custom fields, you can now keep track of volunteer information that doesn't fit into VSP's preformatted fields, like background checks, training dates, languages spoken and more. You can even use that info in powerful ways, like emailing and texting volunteers who match certain criteria! In the following example, we'll send an email to all our volunteers who haven't completed CPR certification.
- Start by setting up your CPR Certification custom field, to track which volunteers have completed the training. (Hint: you'll probably want to create a checkbox field).
- Once you have set up the field and marked which volunteers have and haven't completed certification, go to the Announcements pane of VSP and type the email you want to send to volunteers who haven't completed certification.
- To email just those volunteers who still need CPR training, make sure in the "To" section it says "All volunteers" and then click on "But only volunteers who pass | this filter...""
- In the filter dialog that appears, build your filter. Scroll down to the Custom Fields section, click "CPR Certification," and then choose "Is not checked" so that the email goes to everyone whose CPR Certification field is not checked.
- After you click "OK", the filter is in place. You can confirm that it is correct by hitting the "Preview" button at the bottom of the email. After clicking "OK" in the Token Options dialog, you will see a list of the recipients of the email - glance over the list to confirm that it is just people who have not completed certification.
- Once you're ready, click "Send to..." to send your email!
NOTE: Custom fields are available in VSP's Standard Edition only.